Currently working on the UK production of Evita
- Percussionist at Evita UK/European Tour 2017
Works at BKL Productions
- Former Drums/Percussion at The Sound of Music UK Tour
- Former The Sound of Music UK tour at BKL Productions
- Former Percussion Teacher at Frenchwoods Festival of the Performing Arts
- Former Jesus Christ Superstar UK tour at BKL Productions
- Former Dance Derby – Drummer at Company Chordelia
- Former Percussionist at Evita – the musical
- Former Drummer at Theatre Royal Windsor
- Studied Orchestral Percussion and Timpani at Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama
- Went to Northampton School for Boys
- Lives in Northampton, Northamptonshire
Having played on some of the biggest UK tours, currently Andrew Lloyd Webber’s critically acclaimed Evita, James started playing the traditional snare drum when he was 9 years old in a Scout Band. His talents were spotted early as he competed and won in snare drum solo competitions up and down the country. His Snare drum skills were nurtured and transferred onto the drum kit when he reached middle school then onto percussion when he attended High School.
James Attended the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama (now the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland) where he studied Orchestral Percussion and Timpani with many of the countries, and indeed the world’s, leading professionals and players. He discovered a passion for Latin American Percussion and Jazz and specialised in those areas under the tutelage of Dave Hassell and Allyn Cosker.
Since Graduating the RSAMD in 2011 James has played extensively in a wide range of musical settings. Most Notably, percussion for the UK and European tours of Evita and Jesus Christ Superstar, the UK tour of The Sound of Music and he is now currently touring the UK and Europe with Evita once more. He made his West End debut this year in March playing percussion on “Thoroughly Modern Millie” at the Adelphi.
James has had the privilege of teaching all over the world, most notably last year where he ran the percussion programme at Frenchwoods festival of the Arts in upstate New York.
James is fluent on all percussion instruments from orchestral, tuned percussion including four mallet marimba to latin percussion including congas, bongos and hand drums.
qualifications (apart from my CV) BMus (Hons) from the RSAMD
teaching standards and methods are completely individualised based on goals, age and ability. Students looking to learn with James would need to be older students who are serious about drums and percussion and especially kids who are wanting to go to music college. James is happy to give a consultation lessons.